de Vere's staff member Trevor posted quite a trend-sparking selfie the other day (screenshot seen below). His co-workers were so inspired by his pose and charisma, that they decided to replicate it! Hence the new pub trend, "Trevoring." Here, explore the art of the "Trevor," and feel free to create your own!
"Trevoring" by de Vere's Staff & Patrons by Slidely Slideshow
We've always liked HP Sauce with our fish and chips...and now we like it even more. That's because they've created these commemorative bottle designs in honor of Movember. The best part: different "motivational" phrases, like:
“Moustaches keep your upper lip warm.”
“Men with moustaches look stronger.”
“A great mo makes a great man.”
Ladies, file this under "awesome." Scotch Naturals, an all-natural, non-toxic nail polish collection, is all about one of our favorite liquors. The recyclable Italian glass bottles are fashioned after whiskey bottles and all the shade names are actual drinks made with scotch: Kiltlifter, Morning Glory Fizz, Neat, Leprechaun Lynch, Macbeth's Dream, Rocks Top Coat...the list goes on. You can see the whole collection here.
What's your favorite shade?
At first blush, you might not think there are many ties between the Irish and the Mexican cultures. But there are actually quite a few! In honor of O' Drinko de Mayo (more popularly known as Cinco de Mayo), we're revealing some fun facts about how the bonds between Ireland and Mexico.
1) Zorro is actually argued to be Irish. According to at least one historian, a man named William Lamport from Wexford Ireland is believed to be the inspiration for Johnston McCulley's fictional hero "Zorro." Learn more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lamport
2) A group of Irish Men started the San Patricios (or the St. Patrick’s) Battalion in the Mexican-American War? This brigade of primarily Irish men was lead by John O’Riley and became known as one of the toughest battalions in that war. They are still honored today in Mexico for their bravery. Many actually stayed behind after the war and settled in parts of Mexico. Learn more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Patrick%27s_Battalion
3) Today, there are roughly between 300,000 and 600,000 Irish-descendants living in Mexico City, and the Northern region of the country, where Irish last names such as Bay, Lamport, Byrne, Walsh, Foley, Hayes, and O'Leary are very common.
4) Álvaro Obregón (O'Brien) was president of Mexico during 1920-24 and Ciudad Obregón and its airport are named in his honor. Actor Anthony Quinn is another famous Mexican of Irish descent. There are also monuments in Mexico City paying tribute to those Irish who fought for Mexico in the 1800s.
We've seen a lot happen at our pub, but this is a first. Last week, we were actually the site for a wedding proposal! We caught up with Josh, the groom to be, to get the back story on his engagement to Carole, his girlfriend of almost three years. Here's how it all went down...
"Carole and my adventure started March 21st, 2009. I was in Sacramento visiting family while I was in the Army stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA. Carole was in town from her graduate program at Portland State University. We (my brothers) wanted to go to this new Irish pub downtown that just opened up. While we were there my oldest brother knew a girl in Carole’s party from a local sports camp here and so both groups joined up into one large party for the rest of the night.
Congratulations and CHEERS to Josh and Carole! We're so honored to have been a part of your special day...and look forward to hosting you for engagement photos!
de Vere’s knows that going out drinking can get repetitive, expensive, or both! So we've compiled a list of seven drink deals that are unique to de Vere’s to guarantee that you’ll never be bored with your libation selection again.
1. $4 Well Drinks: Happy hour at de Vere’s is Monday through Friday, from 3:30 to 6:30. That’s three whole hours to enjoy any well drink for $4, complimented by some of our delicious happy hour food offerings (we recommend the Wee Ginger—$4 for a refreshing glass of Jameson and ginger ale).
2. $6 Dew and Brew: We think this drink special is a steal, and you’ll probably agree. For $6 you’ll get a shot of Tullamore Dew whiskey, and an ice-cold beer to wash it down!
3. Happy Hour Pricing on Sundays: Yes, that’s right. All day, every Sunday, we offer $3 draughts and bottles of beer, $4 well drinks, $4 wines, and $12 pitchers.
4. No Corkage Fees. Ever: At de Vere’s we are all about our customers enjoying great food with great drinks, which is why we never charge any corkage fees!
5. Whiskey Flights: We are huge whiskey enthusiasts at de Vere’s, and if you come join us on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month from 5-8pm, you can enjoy some tasting flights along with us! The tasting menu is constantly rotating, and always unique, so you’ll always find something new.
6. $10 Bottomless Bottle Service: Brunch service begins soon, so why not soak up your Irish Fry Up with a bottle of bubbles and a carafe of either orange or cranberry juice? When you’re finished, just ask for more!
7. Almost Famous Irish Coffee: If your Sunday morning cup of Joe just isn’t cutting it after your late Saturday night, we invite you to indulge in our signature Irish Coffee—Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey, locally roasted de Vere’s blend coffee, and a generous dollop of fresh whipped cream, for $6.
Curious about de Vere's Pub Quiz night, but not sure what it entails exactly? We asked Dr. Andy, our Quizmaster in Davis, to share some sample questions with us to give everyone an idea of what to expect. Study up and come join us every Monday night 7pm-9pm at either location. It's super fun, we promise!
1. Mottos and Slogans. “Uncommonly Good” is the commercial slogan for what cookie and cracker company? Keebler
2. Internet Culture – Microblogging Platforms that start with the letter T. Whereas Twitter has a 40% retention rate, the tenth largest online social network has an 85% retention rate. Name it. Tumblr
3. Newspaper Headlines. When 36-year-old Kandace Seyferth collapsed from a severe asthma attack on November 25th, her 10-year old daughter Madisyn quickly dialed 911 and started mouth-to-mouth resuscitation while her friend, 12-year-old Katelynn Vreeke,performed chest compressions. Madisyn and Katelynn learned CPR from watching what ABC medical drama for the previous six years? Gray’s Anatomy
4. Four for Four. In a famous illustration, Dr. Seuss’s Cat in the Hat stands on a ball balancing 13 items. Which of the following items, if any, are among those 13? A bat, a boat, a book, a broom. (NYYN)
5. Christmas Classics. In the 1965 television show A Charlie Brown Christmas, which character says “All I want is what I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share”? Sally
6. Art and Art History. If Vincent Van Gogh had lived as long as Salvador Dali, in what year would Van Gogh have died? You have a ten-year margin of error. He was born in 1853, and Salvador Dali lived to be 84, so the correct answer would be 1937 (1927-1947)
7. Pop Culture – Music. The man with the most recently-announced GrammyAward nominations this year is 34 years old and has a middle name of Omari.Name him. Kanye West
8. Sports – Boxing. The only champion to hold the heavyweight title and go undefeated throughout his career was born in 1923.What was his name? Rocky Marciano
9. Science. What five-syllable word do we us to describe the set of chemical reactions that happen in the cells of living organisms to sustain life? Metabolism
The Short Round
10. American Inventors. Dean Kamen’s most famous invention was what? The Segway PT
11. Korea. North Korea borders the eighth most populous nation to the northeast. Name the nation. Russia
12. Pop Culture – Television. What current CBS sitcom features Patrick Warburton and David Spade? Rules of Engagement
13. Big City Mayors. Jean Quan is the mayor of what northern California city of 390,000? Oakland
14. Another Music Question. What is the best-selling Outkast song of all time? "Hey Ya!" (2003)
End of The Short Round
15. Anagram. One of the best-selling living European authors has written six novels and 36 works ofnon-fiction, and his name is an anagram for the common phrase OCTOBER EMU. What is his name? Umberto Eco
And now five questions on the same topic. This week’s topic is The Muppets!
16. What is the first word of the theme song of The Muppet Show? “It’s”
17. Which Muppet has a Muppet body but exposed human hands? The SwedishChef
18. Both those old hecklers in the balcony of the Muppet Show Theatre were named after New York City hotels. What are their names? Statler and Waldorf
19. Surprisingly, the puppeteer who provided the original voice of MissPiggy and Grover was born in England. What is his name? Frank Oz
20. The only actor working today who has appeared in a silent film, the 1927 film Orchids and Ermine, had a cameo in the recent film The Muppets. Name the actor. Mickey Rooney, the last surviving male star from 1930s Hollywood
And thus end our round of questions on The Muppets.
21. Unusual Words. What word beginning with the letter G means “to bend the knee,” or “to touch the knee to the floor or ground especially in worship”? Genuflect
22. Film. In what 2007 film that won the Oscar for best original screenplay does Mac MacGuff say these words? “Hey there, big puffy version of Junebug!” Juno
23. Irish Culture. Saint Brendan of Clonfert, an Irish monk, allegedly discovered what in the 5th century AD? America (Expect an Irish culture question every week at the de Vere’s Irish Pub Pub Quiz)
24. Cities of the World. The name of the city that served as the capital of India during the British Raj until 1911 once began with a C, but now beginswith a K. Provide either name of this city of almost 4.5 million. Calcutta / Kolkata
25. American Cities. The fastest-growing city in Illinois (and 4th largest in the state) was the “birthplace” of musicians Jake Blues and Lionel Ritchie. What is this city 40 miles southwest of Chicago? Joliet
26. Science. What do we call species of edible grasshoppers that change color and behavior at high population densities? Locusts
27. Books and Authors. What is the name of the beautiful gypsy who is the object of much affection in Victor Hugo’s book The Hunchback of Notre Dame? Esmeralda
28. Current Events – Names in the News. Of what former GOP presidential hopeful did Newt Gingrich today say “Of course I want his endorsement,” thus knocking Herman Cain out of the headlines for at least a few hours? Donald Trump
29. Sports – Baseball Team Names that start with the letter M. All-Star closer Heath Bell and his new splurging baseball team have finalized a $27 million, three-year contract. Name the team. The Miami Marlins
30. Shakespeare. What number, divisible evenly by five, is the correct number of Shakespeare’s histories? 10
Tie-breaker. In what year was Victor Hugo’s mother, Sophie Trébuchet, born? She was born in 1772. (1772–1821)
So you’ve heard rave reviews for de Vere’s homemade bangers and mash, our famous burgers, and our out-of-this-world Reuben. Only problem is, maybe you aren’t a carnivore. Luckily, de Vere’s has got you covered! Not only do we offer a number of meatless options, but we also offer opportunities for you to customize our menu items to make them more vegetarian friendly! Here are a few of our favorite vegetarian dishes and creative combos:
Idea #1: Bulk up our Green Street Caesar Salad with some add-ons! Order this classic salad, but mix it up by customizing it with some fresh avocado slices! Pescetarian? We recommend adding the smoked salmon.
Idea #2: Adds some greens to your Mac and Cheese! Everyone loves this classic comfort pasta, but why not make it a little healthier and veg friendly by sneaking some peas in there? The de Vere’s staff recommends the complimentary combo of peas and red onion.
Idea #3: Ask for your This n’ That plate to come meat-free! This n’ That, as seen on the menu, comes with assorted cheeses, cured meat, and fruit, and is served with de Vere’s (famous and delicious!) Irish Brown Bread. We’d be happy to accommodate our vegetarian customers by subbing out the cured meat! Tip: This dish pairs especially nicely with a nice pint of beer.
Idea #4: Take advantage of our delicious meat-free happy hour items! Deep-fried pickles are a unique and tasty addition to our happy hour menu, and our country crisps are always Veg friendly—and a total steal at only $3-$4! Idea
If you’re a newbie to the various libations de Vere’s has to offer, we’d like to provide a primer in order to maximize your pub experience. Whether you are a beer fan, budget drinker, or supremely fond of oaky whiskies, de Vere’s has something perfect for you! Here's a de Vere's Pub drinking guide for your viewing pleasure!
Join us Monday through Friday from 3:30 to 6:30 and take advantage of our discounted happy hour drink and food specials. Our favorite combo? Some of our ever-popular pub chips, washed down with a refreshing Wee Ginger (Jameson & Gingerale with barrel-aged bitters)—both $ 4 each!
Beer, Beer, Beer!
Of course you’ve heard about our perfectly poured pints of Guinness, and our extensive selection of draught and bottled beers, but did you know we offer a rotating array of specialty craft beers? To boot, we are always listening to and encouraging suggestions from our guests!
If you love this complex spirit, we’d like to welcome you to the club…literally! For a one-time fee of $50, you can have access to the various perks that come with being a member of our Whiskey Society. Benefits include discounted whiskey tasting flights, “You Call It” whiskey nights, and the chance to participate in one of our not-to-be-missed Whiskey Dinners!
Sure we are especially fond of Guinness, but that doesn’t mean we can’t make a mean cocktail as well. For a classic, try our de Vere’s Manhattan. If you’re looking to change it up a little, we suggest the Buster Brown: Buffalo Trace bourbon, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, and Regan’s orange bitters, shaken and served over ice.